Students applying to Texas Southern University who have completed all high school requirements for graduation (including passing the STARR- Texas Residents Only) and have not attended a college or university since graduating high school are considered a first–year freshman.
- Fall - July 15
- Spring - December 15
- Summer I - May 1
- Summer II - June 1
Financial Aid Deadline:
- Priority - April 15 for Fall
- FAFSA Code: 003642
- Completed Application for Admission -If you are applying for the Summer 2022, Fall 2022, or Spring 2023 semesters, please go to https://goapplytexas.org and create a new account. Registration for new accounts and applications for Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Spring 2023 is now available! Please note you MUST create a new account if you are applying for Summer 2022 and beyond.
- $42.00 application fee (Non-refundable) - PAY APPLICATION FEE ONLINE
No application will be processed without the required application fee or approved fee waiver
- Most recent official high school transcript or GED Test Report (Electronically through an EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) system, e.g. Speede/TRex, Parchment/Naviance, National Student Clearinghouse, Scoir, Scrib and Greenlight)
- Grade point average of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale OR
- Official SAT or ACT test scores
- Texas Southern University ACT school code: 4216
- Texas Southern University SAT/College Board Code: 6824
- ACT 17 (composite) or 820 (SAT Critical Reading and Mathematics combined, if taken before March 2016, or 900 SAT total
score,if taken after March 2016).
- Complete Placement Testing upon admission.
TSU Board Approves Temporary Revision to Admissions Standards Due to COVID-19
On July 12, 2021, the TSU Board of Regents approved a temporary update to the university's admission policy for first-time freshman applicants that qualify for one of the automatic admissions requirements.
Updated Admissions Requirements:
- Students with High School Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale; OR a minimum ACT score of 17, or minimum SAT score of 900.
- Dual Credit Completion: Students who have completed an associate degree with a cumulative college G.P.A. of 2.0 at the time of applying to Texas Southern University will be automatically admitted.
- Holistic/Individual Review for students outside of the admissions criteria.
The updated policies were approved only for the 2021-2024 academic year.
Texas Uniform Admission Standards
Per state law, TEC 51.803-51.809, Uniform Admissions Standards (UAS) require all residents who graduate from a Texas public high school meet one of the following college readiness standards in order to be eligible for consideration for admission at a Texas four-year public institution:
- Successfully complete the Recommended or Advanced (Distinguished) High School Program, Foundation High School Program or complete the portion of the program that was available to them; or
- Successfully complete a curriculum that is equivalent* in content and rigor to the Recommended or Advanced (distinguished) High School Program or Foundation High School Program at a high school that is exempt from offering such programs; or
- Satisfy the College Readiness Benchmarks on the SAT or ACT assessment:
- SAT- 1500 out of 2400 (Verbal + Math + Writing)
- ACT- 18 English, 21 Reading, 22 Mathematics and 24 Science
NOTE: In order to claim curriculum equivalencies for a student applicant, the high school counselor or other school officials must complete one of the two Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemption forms and attach the completed certification to the student’s high school transcript or diploma prior to submission to the admissions office.
Undocumented High School Students Must Have:
- Graduated from a public or private high school or received a high school diploma or GED in the State of Texas.
- Resided in this state for at least three consecutive years before the date of graduation from high school or before receiving the equivalent of the high school diploma (GED).
- Sign an Affidavit of Intent stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity the individual is eligible to do so. Please send to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in the address box below.