TSI Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the link below to provide your written consent for TSU to obtain your scores and submit to Admissions on your behalf.http://wforms.tsu.edu/index.php/tsi-score-retrieval-consent-form/
You should present a
No, there might be options in your home state that will allow TSU testing services access. Please contact the testing center by phone or email for more details. If you live more than 30 miles from The Texas Southern University or in other states, you may request to use a remote voucher. Please see below for details.How to request a remote TSI voucher
Please click here (TSI Exemptions)to access the review the list of exemptions.
Please submit your DD-214 paperwork for review to email@example.com. We will review and confirm.
Until you are "TSI Complete" you are required to meet with your Academic Advisor before registering for the subsequent term to update your schedule and remove your TSI hold.
Once your transcript(s) are evaluated, the Office of Admissions, your Academic Advisor and/or the Testing Administration staff members can verify which TSI sections are needed for registration, before scheduling.
Students who are transferring to Texas Southern University (TSU) from a private and/or out-of-state, regionally-accredited college or university, may meet sections of the TSI Assessment based on the grade of a C or higher in courses that are equivalent to the following TSU courses:
- Writing* • Freshman English I & II: ENG 131 or ENG 132
- Reading* • English Literature: 230, 231, 235 & 244 (World, American & African-American) • United States History: HIST 231 or 232 • American Government: POLS 235 or 236 • General Psychology: PSY 131
- Mathematics* • College Algebra or any Higher Level Math: MATH 133
*If one or more exemptions are met, please review and confirm that the appropriate test scores and/or transcripts are submitted to the TSI Coordinator via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or in-person. Please call 713-313-6886 to schedule an appointment.
*All test scores/transcripts must be submitted to receive exemptions*
First-Year Academic Advisors
*Scores can be no more than five years old*
ACT Scores required for TSI Exemption SAT Scores required for TSI Exemption:
- Composite Score: 23 or higher Subtest: Math Score of 19 or higher *TSI MATH EXEMPT*
- Beginning March 2016 Subtest: Math Score of 530 or higher *TSI MATH EXEMPT*
- Composite: 23 or higher Subtest: English Score of 19 or higher *TSI WRITING & READING EXEMPT*
- Beginning March 2016 Subtest: Critical Reading Score of 480 or higher *TSI WRITING & READING EXEMPT*